Wednesday 15 April 2015

Homemade wood burning camp stoves

First trip across Canada I used a canister stove and it worked great. My roadside meals are always simple and only require boiling water for oatmeal (breakfast), rice (lunch & dinner) and tea on occasion  (cold nights).

Problem is the canisters are not refillable and its difficult to find places that dispose of them properly.

I only used about 6 or 7 canisters for the whole trip across the country which isn't bad at all. Still, I think I can do better. My goal this summer is to get by with only one canister, (Back up only).

For the majority of my meals I'll use a wood burning camp stove. Now you can buy a 'biolite' stove for $200 that does the trick and charges your phone at the same time. Or you can spend  $100 on a 'kelly kettle' which boils water quickly by having the wood burning flames go up in the middle of the kettle quickly heating up the water around it.

As the goal of this cross Canada run is of a minimalist nature, I decided to make my own out of an ordinary can. It takes some practice and you definitely want to have plenty of dry grass and twigs before starting but so far so good. Instant rice over the 'simmer for 30-40 minutes' kind os definitely a must though! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment